With the invention of the automobile, a new era in road construction began. The new vehicles stirred up dust in the road and disturbed the general well-being of the residents.
In Monaco, the Swiss doctor, Dr. Ernest Guglielminetti, came upon the idea of using tar from Monaco's Gasworks for binding the dust. So on March 13, 1902 in Monaco, the tar street was "invented".
At the first international Road Congress in Paris in 1908, "The Road of the Future" and of course, the new road construction materials, tar, its competitors and bitumen were discussed as well as these materials significance for the future of road construction technology.
It should not be forgotten at this point, however, that asphalt, in the form of a mixture of aggregates and natural bitumen, was already known in ancient times as far back as Nebuchadnezzars day and age. Natural bitumen was also the binder for the so-called compressed rock asphalt. As early as the second half of the 19th century, compressed rock asphalt courses were built in numerous large European cities. This was, so to speak, the beginning of the modern asphalt road construction.
Since the beginning of the motorization of traffic, there has been pressure to adapt the roads to the growing vehicle traffic.
So it was that in Berlin in 1909 the "Automobil-Verkehrs- und Übungsstraße AG" (Automobile Traffic and Training Road Inc.) was founded and in 1913, construction on the 9.8 km long "AVUS" was begun. Interrupted by the war, it was completed in 1921. The gravel surface with surface tarring which was chosen according to the available (for that time) technological and financial possibilities, proved to be inadequate after only a few years and was completely restored in the years 1928 and 1929 using tar concrete in hot application.